Tuesday 31 July 2012

Feeling guilty for past support?

The past couple of nights I’ve been watching the Free Willy’s (which for those who support more oil tankers in BC -- watch the second Free Willy).

It got me thinking of when I was a kid about some where during the summer I would always head to with my Dad…Marineland (Niagara Falls). I found out later on that my Dad was actually always against Marineland.

I will admit I did rather enjoy my time going there -- mostly though because my Dad and I did quite a bit together and out trips to Niagara Falls in general were always fun. We took many trips to Niagara Falls to walk around.

If I fast forward to the past decade, I have strongly disliked Marineland. Too many animals have died but mostly inadequate facilities.

The following pictures are from the early to mid 90’s.

01

02

If you look in the back, that small space is where the whales spend most of their day. The ‘preforming’ section of the tank is too small for their holding area.

03

04

Three whales in a small area.

05

Dolphins didn’t have it any better. Where the two “Hogwart coloured” backboards for a basketball nets are, is where the Dolphins are kept while not preforming. Quite sad seeing the bars raised and lowered -- having them enter their prison.

06

Wide open to the public are hundreds of deer.

07

08

I couldn’t find any pictures -- but I’ll always remember are lighter coloured bear with dried blood stains. Most likely from a fight with another bear.

To add insult to injury, the city of Niagara Falls sold a parcel of land across from Marineland where people use to protest…TO Marineland. What does that mean? No more protests outside Marineland without ‘trespassing’.

So should I feel guilty for going to Marineland as a child -- but being utterly against them now?

1 comment:

  1. I don't think so, you have learned - now you can teach. Maybe your Dad should have suggested a different place to visit but he was probably afraid he might lose the chance to spend time with you. It seems you are using the experience to build a better world - no regrets.

    ReplyDelete